Who Can Launch a Kickstarter Campaign?
Individuals in the following countries can currently create projects:
- Hong Kong
- New Zealand
Individuals living in the above-mentioned countries must also meet the following requirements:
- They should be at least 18 years old*
- They should be permanent residents of one of the eligible countries listed above
- They must create a project either in their name or on behalf of a registered legal entity that they are affiliated with
- They should have an ID (government-issued), address, and bank account in the country where they are creating the project**
- If they are creating the project individually, the linked bank account should be in the name of the individual who had their identity verified for this project
- They must possess a major credit card or debit card***
**EU citizens may use government-issued IDs such as their passport. However, you should run your project from any EU country that is eligible for Kickstarter projects
***Canadian citizens should possess a major credit card.
2. What requirements should I meet for running the project as a legal entity?
If you want to run the project through a legal entity, then your organization should be a registered legal entity in the country from where you will run your project.
You should have a business number and your company should be registered. Without fulfilling these conditions, you will not be considered a legal entity and therefore, you cannot run the project as such.
For all Kickstarter projects, verified identity is necessary. Hence, if you use your organization or business to run the project, then one project team member must act as the representative and should verify his or her identity. This representative should also meet the eligibility conditions for individuals as mentioned above.
What is my country of legal residence and bank account location?
Individuals in the following countries are eligible to create campaigns.
- Hong Kong (campaigns in China may be eligible)
- Republic of Ireland
They must meet the following requirements:
- Should be at least 18 years of age
- Should be legal residents in one of the eligible countries listed above or should have a registered business entity in one of these countries
- Should create the campaign in their own name or on the basis of the registered legal entity to which they are affiliated
- Should have a bank account and an address in the country from where they are creating the campaign
- In case they run the campaign as individuals, the linked bank account should be in the name of the person who had their identity verified for this campaign.
Am I eligible if I am on a visa or if I am an exchange student or a foreign national?
You may consider that country as your location from which you have a government-issued ID and where you have a bank account.
If the country of which you are a legal resident is part of the EEA or the EU, then you should refer to the following section for more information: in what currency will I raise my campaign funds?
What conditions apply if I reside in a British Crown Dependency, outlying territory or a special municipality?
If you are currently residing in a British Crown Dependancy (Isle of Man, Guernsey or Jersey) then you must create a campaign using a bank account and address located in the UK.
Hence, you must choose the UK as the country for both your bank account and the country of legal residence.
If you are living in Puerto Rico, you must use a bank account and address in the US mainland for creating your campaign.
Excepting Puerto Rico, any other US possession or territory (including the US Virgin Islands) is not supported.
Should I select a nonprofit, business or individual? Which tax ID should I enter?
For raising funds, you can select the following kinds of bank account: nonprofit, business, or individual.
If the purpose of the campaign is to raise funds for a nonprofit or business, then you may select nonprofit or business type for your bank account.
You must select individual account type if you will raise funds for your own purposes.
In the Tax section, note down the number that you are government-granted upon registering your business or organization.
You should note that neither the tax ID nor the fund recipient can be changed after account verification.
If you use your business to raise funds, then you must select the country where your business headquarters are located.
If you are using a non-US account for receiving funds, Indiegogo will charge a fee for each transfer or disbursement. You will also incur third party processing fees.
After creating the project what can’t be changed?
Once the campaign is created, the following cannot be changed.
- Bank account country
- Country of legal residence
Therefore, you must be completely certain about these fields before you save your ‘Start Your Campaign’ page.
Once the campaign is launched or created, you can make changes to these fields only after you end the current campaign, refund money to all contributors and start a new campaign.
What if my country is not listed?
- We might be able to help. Contact us here to discuss your Kickstarter or Indiegogo project.
- You can also use Stripe Atlas for creating a US business entity and applying for a bank account in the US.
What is Stripe Atlas?
can assist you in creating a company. It is easy to use, safe, and powerful.
Stripe Atlas can help you to establish a startup anywhere across the globe. It will take care of legal complexities, fees, bank visits, and paperwork.
With Stripe Atlas, you can establish a company in just a few days with the following benefits:
- C Corporation Incorporated in Delaware
- Signed Certificate of Incorporation, Bylaws, and Board Consent
- IRS Employer Identification Number (EIN)
- Free Templates for Post-Incorporation Legalities
- Bank Account at the Silicon Valley Bank
- Stripe Account
- Full Access to the Stripe Product Range
Need customized help for your Kickstarter or Indiegogo campaign? We help you get more attention and pledges to hit and exceed your funding goal.
See our packages & prices
or contact us
today and see how we can help you reach your goal.